TEST THURSDAY (5/23)
Study Guide: Vietnam War, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Branches of Government
- Domino Theory – America couldn’t let Ho Chi Minh take over Vietnam because Laos and Cambodia would quickly become communist countries
- North Vietnam – communist
- South Vietnam – anti-communist
- Viet Cong advantage – they knew the terrain extremely well
- Unpopularity of Vietnam – gruesome bloodshed on both sides
- Richard Nixon slogan – “Peace with honor”
- The United States and Vietnam are trading partners today.
- 58,000 died
Memorial Day / Veterans Day
- Memorial Day - Federal Holiday
- Decorate graves with flags and flowers
- Victory gardens were planted in Philadelphia during WWII.
- For draftees, military service is required.
- The War in Afghanistan is the longest lasting war in U.S. history.
- Approximately 1,000,000 Americans have died in uniform.
- The tradition of attending a parade supports the idea that Memorial Day is a celebration.
- Sending care packages is a way to support deployed soldiers.
- All veterans that are deployed have to spend time away from their friends and family.
- Military casualties are unavoidable because some soldiers work in dangerous conditions.
Branches of Government
§ Makes the laws
§ Congress (2 chambers) Senate / House of Representatives
§ Senate – 100 senators (2 from each state)
§ House of Representatives – number based on population (535)
§ Approve the laws
§ President is in charge
§ President (2 terms / 4years each)
§ Cabinet – group of people who help the president make decisions
§ Carry out the laws
§ Supreme Court
§ 9 Judges (life or retire)
***** Define on the back: Constitution, Bill of Rights, veto *****